Monday, January 30, 2017

Tiramisu and Other Events

Dear Family and Friends,

Nothing too different happened this week which I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Hopefully, my email won't be boring with the same events and messages as before.

One thing that has changed is I have become the chef for our district. Usually, I'm better with dolce but I have been practicing my pasta al forno (ziti for those in my family). And this week, instead of doing the same chocolami for our district meetings, I was asked to make a tiramisu...and I have to say it was buonissimo! Making it was more of interesting story though :)

All you need for tiramisu is orzo, cookies, and a cream which you make and takes forever to whip (about 20 minutes). We had bought a mixer and this was the first time we had used it... and by the end it smelled really terrible (almost like smoke). I thought it just needed to rest a bit but when the sisters and Daniele asked me to make another for our pranzo after church on Sunday, the mixer stopped working. Remember this is late at night (little after 9:30 since it was the only time we had) and we need a mixer. First we tried asking our neighbor downstairs. He didn't have one. Then, we tried just using a whisk which turned out to be impossible. So thankfully, we have the Zombra's (awesome member family!) who live in our palazzo so we asked them and they had one!  Tiramisu saved!   Advice: don't buy kitchen appliances for cheap from a chinese store.

Other than that interesting note, things were pretty much the same. Arancinis were eaten, lessons were taught(sorta, lot of people couldn't meet), we went on a super fun scambio in Catania with the Zone Leaders, and we actually did service! There is a cute old Austrian couple that live here and we got to help them with maintaining their house in Campagnia. But we forgot to wear service clothes so we show up wearing our white shirts and ties and we are supposed to be using a shovel and a pick outside in the dirt. Luckily they had some old pants and boots we could borrow. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture because it would have been hilarious. But the work was great, we dug a hole for their new drainage system and Anziano Moscon picked away at cement to create a tunnel for a new pipe.

We tried our best this week even if things didn't go according to how we had planned it.  It's so difficult to remember that I didn't do anything wrong when people don't want to meet or when appointments fall through because in my mind, I always feel like there's something I can do more.  Of course, we should never give up to the challenges we face in this life, but we also don't need to beat ourselves up when we struggle or things don't go according to that ever imaginary plan. God wants us to try and just do our best with the circumstances given.  If we were in a state of being where everything went well, then we would be without joy and could never grow.

I saw that this week where it seemed like we couldn't see any fruits from our labors sitting in sacrament meeting.  A lot when into that silent prayer that I offered after taking the sacrament, and then God granted an even bigger miracle than the forgiveness and comfort he constantly gives me.  Daniele was our only investigator in church at the time and at the time believed he would be the only one for the day. And out of no where, in comes Roberto, the boyfriend of a member, in the middle of church. I was really happy for that quiet moment.  Hopefully all continues to be well and that I can continue to see the hand of God in my life. Thank you for all your support and prayers. Keep up the great work and see the hand of God in your life. Ciao!

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Price





No comments:

Post a Comment