Monday, October 23, 2017

Lots of Thoughts



Dear Family and Friends,

So the calls have come and as I expected, I am still here in Catania and I am in fact here with Anziano Perfili still too. That was a little more unexpected but it usually takes me two transfers with someone to get united and do my best work (considering 6 weeks now goes by sooo fast). We are a good duo with still a few kinks, but what great companionships don't have kinks?

The ward is certainly happy that we are still together as seen from the hugs, bacces (missionary talk for "italian kisses"), and compliments.  There is nothing like an Italian ward that's for sure. Yes, wherever you go in the world the church has the same organization and structure and of course the sacrament, but there are always some unique features. Like the one old sicilian in Elder's Quorum that is famous for giving long and interesting comments, the first counselor handing the person giving a talk a note that says they need to end their talk in one minute because they used up too much time, and of course the overwhelming sense of love you feel from all their buon giornos, handshakes, and especially their hand gestures. I even got the privilege of seeing a lot of the youth from Siracusa and Ragusa, and even someone from Pozzuoli yesterday as well and it's amazing to see that my friendship with them still exist.

I certainly also love being in this same zone and treasuring the relationships I have with these great missionaries that I work with. On Thursday we helped send missionaries off to their new cities, including Anziano Mars who will be going to Rome. I got to do a little mini scambio the night before with him which reminded me of what seems like forever ago in Ragusa. And of course, we got kebab (look it up, it's really good here!).

So after the craziness of helping others with transportation, Elder Ballard's conference,zone leadership councils, and helping the vescovo charge batteries for translation, we were still able to make a difference in our work. From an apostle, we received the challenge to talk to 10 people every day and so I have been really trying to put it into practice. You talk to anyone and I mean anyone to reach that goal, like these two full grown men racing RC race cars in the parking lot for fun haha.

For me, talking to people has always been my struggle because I'm a nervous guy and I don't like to bother other people. I kind of have to turn my brain off actually and just go for it, saying "Hey how are you?" or "I like your dog. What's his name" and things like that, and soon things always progress to the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. This one lady we stopped immediately recognized us as missionaries because her sister recently was baptized nearby in Caltanisetta about a year ago which really shocked us. We were told by Elder Ballard to expect miracles so I am working hard to truly believe and do my part.

Really, this week has been a wake-up call to the fact that the end is getting closer and closer than I think. 9 months is nothing in missionary time. I want to end as my best self, doing everything right. While that expectation isn't healthy (especially since I've recently become a clutz and cracked the kitchen stove in my attempt to clean), I want to live everyday from now on without regret. To make the most of every day because today is the day! Soon I will have to leave this great country and take off the missionary tag, so I want to do it with the utmost assurity that I did my best. Because I owe to God to try.

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Price


No comments:

Post a Comment