Monday, November 20, 2017

Joy to the World (I know it's not Christmas yet)

Dear Family and Friends,

What a wonderful week! I will attempt to recount the experiences with same vigor and feeling I had in the moment, which will hopefully give you a peek into my life as a missionary.

First off, it was the week of appointments. It just seemed like we barely fit in time to do studies because we were running from appointment to appointment (more like driving speedily sicilian style and trying to quickly find a "legal" parking spot). First it began with the Smedila family, then the Penroses, the Hawkes, the Sanfillipos, and the list continued for all the investigstors and less active members we tried to visit. Honestly, I feel spoiled to be in this spot on the mission. The members here cook so well, are welcome and open with the missionaries, and are sincerely trying to help us find people to teach. I love feeling the Spirit that is so abundant in their homes and challenging them to change and improve in spiritual thoughts while eating a delicious pistachio pesto pasta, a chocolate cake, chicken salad sandwiches, and even homemade sourdough bread (in this ward, there are some American families we visit).

One thing that has defined my mission is love for sure. I've tried to always show love to those we teach, serve, and minister to, especially the missionaries I work with as a leader. I had the amazing opportunity to go on two scambios. First, I went with a young first transfer missionary, Anziano Trickett, who I can tell has great desire and, like when I was a greenie, is nervous speaking with others and opening his mouth in Italian. I can say with little doubt that it was one of the best days of my mission. I forced ourselves to talk to a lot of people, the most people I have tried to stop in a while. Some stopped us before we could get words out of who we were, others answered our questions in the beginning but soon closed off. Anziano Trickett has the great idea ask people if they wanted to see a video of Jesus Christ. And so after receiving two bidones from investigators, we set out prayerfully searching for people to talk to with 3 hours left. Sucessfully, we showed the video at least 4 times to athiests, catholics, and those of the world (one group offered us marijuana at the end of our conversation). One person remarked that he would like to find more videos of Christ and so hopefully we can see him again. My favorite part was bearing pure testimony afterward of who we are, that Christ lives and has called a prophet to restore his Church and that even today we have a prophet who lives. We felt the spirit powerfully and we knew it was true, even if no one else we talked to believed us. What can finish a great night like that better than a scambio kebab?

All I can say is that I know there is a reason I am here, in the exact spot where I am, so that I can be an example and help these great missionaries I am serving with become even better than me. The other scambio was with someone I look up to very much and was very touching because God let me see how much I was needed here right now and how I have truly made a  diffference, even when the world might say otherwise. Losing yourself in the service of God is truly one of the greatest feelings one can have.

To close, we had an amazing stake conference here first in Catania and then at Siracusa. First off, I got to translate at least 5 hours of talks into a microphone for the English speakers which I have to say I was quite impressed that I had the capacity to even do something like that. My brain was certainky fried though. But the special moments were seeing all the wonderful members I have worked with again. The members of Ragusa couldn't cease shaking our hands and giving us hugs and baccios since Anziano Perfili also served in Ragusa too. They begged our mission president to send Anziano Perfili back and asked for us to come back down to Ragusa before I leave. Their reaction left my heart full with joy and then the Siracusa members came! I saw Giuseppe, a new convert who I was able to teach who still remembered me, as well as other great members who can't believe that I am still here. There were just too many people. They have made the great effort to make us happy and feel loved, and I have to imagine that it is because the missionaries changed each one of their lives.

At the end of the conference, we sang God be with you until we meet again. I can't help but feel that might be the last time I see any of the great members of Sicily again because transfers are next week and it just might be my time. I will miss it all so so so dearly. I don't know if there is anything that will come close to the feelings I felt, the experiences I've had, the memories I've made right here on an island that I didn't know existed. Did I think any of this was going to happen before I left on my mission? No way. Am I glad that I am here now? You bet I am! I have felt the most happy on my mission as I shared pure testimony, as I really tried to give it my all, when I was exactly obedient, when I served someone who had need of me (even if it is just making pancakes in the morning on a scambio, a pasta al forno for the house or giving a street performer a euro to thank him for taking a video of me playing the violin). I loved this week so much and I can't wait to try it again this week. It's all true and it's time to bring this joy to the world.

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Price

No comments:

Post a Comment