Monday, September 25, 2017

Cool Stories


Dear Family and Friends,

I'm settling in finally. In this beautiful city of Catania, near the newly snowcapped peaks of the volcano, Mt. Etna, I am finally feeling at home. Yes, while I still may get lost here like in my old greenie days, my mental map is starting to click as well as my confidence in driving with these crazy Italians is growing. Yes, the grocery store, people, and missionaries are different here, but that's just another change that I have to tackle and love while doing it.

Okay I first have to thank all the mission leaders I had before. I never realized all the tiny details you have to take care of as well as the late nights writing up reports, brainstorming how to help other missionaries, mixed in with the busy schedule of normal missionary work. I've probably never been more tired in my life, but I just focus on the love I have for all these missionaries. Especially for Anziano Perfili.

He's the best. Different than any missionary I have worked with (which I should have expected because all my companions have been different), but overall, he's been helpful. We had a really good talk one day about how I felt inadequate and doubted why I had been called to this position because I felt like I wasn't cut out for it. Yes tears were shed, that's been me lately, kinda emotional, clumsy, but just doing my best to be humble and learn everything I can from Anziano Perfili. Fortunately, I have someone like him to lift me up and tell me all the good things I am still doing.

For the rest, all I really have are some cool stories. When finding in a park one day, we stopped this young couple and asked them about their belief in God. Instead of normally turning away, they became interested and we soon established contact through Facebook. Then on Friday we met them with the sorelle missionaries and ate a pizza while explaining more about who we were and our beliefs. Emanuele and Stefania were super nice and actually might investigate the next time we meet.

We also had a meal appointment with an american family who gave me a nice memory of home. Classic american meal with good old conversation, an amazing spiritual thought, they committed to planning how to give someone a Book of Mormon, and they even gave us a Reeces Peanut Butter pie which was quite the treat. Let's just say, I'm trying to make a goal of eating healthier this week :)

One day we had an appointment with Fratello Palla (old member who talks in funny grumbly Siciliano) and his family so we figured out the one bus that goes by there house to the middle of nowhwere. We walked in only expecting him and his wife, but we walk in to teaching almost all his less children and grandchildren. That really put the pressure on us, but we just decided to keep it simple with teaching about Jesus Christ and His Atonement. It was a really cool miracle and we might even get a chance to go again tonight.

Miracles just happen here. One night we were in a piazza where we a met a member who is a recent convert and recently just came from Nigeria to here that we had no idea about. As well as then we walked into a comic book store to follow up on a contact, to which an employee there began ti talk to us and added us immediately to his Facebook. And then that night while waiting to get a dolce called bombe (it's the best!), a couple noticed we were speaking in English, asked who we were, and we basically taught the Restoration in 10 minutes.

Giuseppe PaternĂ² continues to be a stud. We read the first chapter of the Book of Mormon and he didn't understand it clearly so we invited him to read it again. He then sent us a photo the next day of the summary of the chapter that he was memorizing! We also met up in Catania where he brought his friend Salvo and we manged on a cipolline (super good onion mozzarella pomodoro ham pastry) and we explained who we were to Salvo as well. And on the way to that appointment, a man named Filippo stopped us and asked if we could teach him about the Book of Mormon. And to top it all off, Giuseppe shows up to church in a nice suit, making all the members wonder if he was a missionary without a tag.

Truly, Catania has been a city of struggle mixed with the blessings of miracles, something I need to be more grateful for. I'm growing to love the city and want to give it my all. As I learned in my study on charity this week, I need to learn how to give up all of myself. Yes I already do that with my time and desires, but that also includes my fears, worries, doubts. My favorite words of advice are to quit worrying about myself and just do what I have been called to do, sacrifice it all. I look forward to this next week with great hope that I am serving God and striving to do the right thing. Hopefully, I will also receive the answers to my prayers this week as we listen to prophets and apostles called by God to lead us. I love you and pray that all is well with you as it is with me.

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Price



No comments:

Post a Comment