Monday, March 27, 2017

Reflections


Dear Family and Friends,

Today's the day! It's a lot harder writing an email when you still don't know if you are leaving or not. My guess is that I am, considering I am the oldest in the district and I also I can just feel it is time. This week wasn't too different than the past couple which gave me the chance to think of all that has changed these past 4 1/2 months...okay maybe not a whole lot has changed but a whole lot sincerely has happened during my time here in Siracusa.

But first a little overview of the week. Teaching Giuseppe is very interesting. I always want to make sure he understands what we are teaching him very clearly (because having someone this excited for baptism is just plain shocking!)  We help him read the Book of Mormon as well since he has a very humble background but honestly he seems so prepared for entering into the waters of baptism. There also have been some fun days of creative finding. One time we went up to nearly everyone (one couple replied that "we don't have enough time to repent") in a park and finally we talked to this one guy named John who actually was interested but also decided to roll up a cigarette while he talked to us.

Speaking of smoking, we also have begun to teach someone who wants
to quit smoking. Anziano Moscon and I have never done something like this before but we are putting our trust in the Lord and also the program they give us as missionaries to help others. Among other things, it was a fun week with Anziano Moscon!


The hardest thing to say goodbye to would be the food here in Siracusa. Just kidding, while I have definitely eaten a wide array of some of my now favorite foods here (arancini, ricotta, pasta alforno, pesto siciliano, etc.), the people here are just absolutely amazing! I really can't compare it to anything other than being adopted by a large Italian family. They pretty much assume the missionaries are helpless by themselves so families like the Corso's, Zombra's, Amaldi's, Ciccio's, and Conforto's love to treat the missionaries like their children in a way. Italians are just special in showing their love through food, humor, and hand gestures.

One thing I have improved on while here is how to be more ready on the spot. This usually happens a lot in the mission with spiritual thoughts, giving talks in sacrament, and in finding. This week we were having a pranzo at the Stake President's house (since he lives in our ward) with some other members (the lasagna was super good!) and he asked me if I could play the violin for a musical activity. Of course I wanted to assuming there would be time to practice and it would be mostly church music. It turned out to be in 5 days and he wanted me to play 3 classical pieces (apparently, President Nudo is a little obessed with classical and film music like me). The activity was super fun though and it went well without any stress. They set up this section where people guessed what the title of the music piece. Sadly, they didn't let me play because they thought I would get all the answers.

Also, teaching has become a whole lot easier for me as a missionary. Of course, it takes a lot of study and preparation and there are still days where it is harder to explain myself in italian, but for me, I have realized it is all about listening to the person and asking questions. Maybe it' s just easier with Italians since if you ask them a question, you usually spend 10 minutes listening to their lengthy response ;)

One member, Fratello Conforto, said something (actually in pretty good English) that really sums it up my experience. He said he can tell that I really ove it here becaue he can see a light in my eyes, in my smile as I talk with members and be a missionary. I hope that's true becaue I want everyone to know the great love I have for them because God and Christ love us that much more!

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Price







No comments:

Post a Comment