Wednesday, February 15, 2017

In Defense of Truth


Dear Family and Friends,

Well I'm sure you are dying to know where I am in Italy now. Well the good news is that I am staying with Anziano Moscon here for another transfer. I'm super excited for this one because we have some good plans to start this transfer off right. Sorella CiBi is sadly needed in Bari and now Sorella Ferre is taking her place. Transfer Day is always fun, coordinating rides for the sister missionaries and their luggage to be taken to the train station a day earlier than expected, trains being delayed (which is usually expected), and of course adjusting to changes in our district. Sorella Ferre is only in her third transfer so we still might be one of the youngest districts in the mission.


As for new updates, I discovered that there are actually more kinds of pesto than the typical green basil pesto. Like eggplant pesto, pistacchio pesto, and my personal favorite right now, the Sicilian pesto. Basically, it's the normal pesto but made with tomatoes and ricotta and is absolutely perfect for an easy pasta al forno. I never really thought cooking to be something I would love to do, but now I get excited for learning how to make new Italian dishes. Also, we were able to make german pancakes (crepes for those of who don't understand our weird family tradition of naming foods) which actually turned out good.


Also Sorella Tacchi wants me to mention it was her birthday on Saturday. The celebration was really fun with all the young adults of the ward (GANS) and Daniele and Alessandro together at a steakhouse. Only in Italy can you get a pizza at a steakhouse (yes, that was me).


Insomma (in short), this week was hard on me physically (because I am getting more and more tired) and probably harder emotionally with all the events that have been occurring. Lessons not going well, dropping investigators for not wanting to keep their commitments, and lots and lots of finding. The week was defined mostly by our finding since Anziano Moscon and I knew it was something that we needed to do. We tried walking in new areas and asking people for directions. We also did finding with the sister missionaries, setting up gesso's and simply handing out our biglietinni on Ortegia, where everyone loves to be at night. One time we were stopped by Jehovah's Witnesses (we answered their questions nicely, even if they were angry at us for our choices) and yesterday, when we did a Gesso, one man that I had stopped to ask a question proceeded to yell at me and call me a liar and a hypocrite (honestly, that definitely shook me). Luckily, we had an awesome member who defended me and the church right there a lot better than I could in my mediocre Italian.


Based on the circumstances and experiences of this week, I have been thinking a lot of why I am here, what's my purpose here in Siracusa, will anyone really want to hear our message? Of course, the mission can't be all fun and joy and success, but it's something we are supposed to strive for, right? Really, something I am learning is how weak I am without God's help every day and that everything is in his hands. Yes, it is difficult to understand, why do bad things happen, why isn't preaching about the gospel of Jesus Christ and bearing our testimonies easier than I thought? Luckily, I know also that all these experiences will be for my good, that true joy comes through opposition, and that God loves me for doing this work. I felt the Spirit as I bore my testimony to those who spoke against us and really that should just build my own testimony, not diminish the fact that I know this church is true, that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, that Christ's church is restored upon the Earth today and all Christ asks for us to do is come unto him. It might be the hardest thing I ever do, but I know it is where true happiness, peace, and all the blessings of heaven lie. I love you all thank you for your support! Please, come unto Christ and be perfected in Him.

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Price





No comments:

Post a Comment