Tuesday, July 4, 2017

He Makes Up the Difference



Dear Family and Friends,

What a week! For some reason all the crazy things started to happen ever since I started training so I believe God really is watching over us in ways we see every day and especially in ways we don't see.

For example, this week we finally had the Ragusa Ward Musical. Well more like a musical that was organized by the ward to help with missionary work and also to build friendships with community members. We have been practicing for quite some time but the last few days before our performance certainly felt like crunch time. Fratello Lo Monaco, our amazing ward mission leader and "solves all our problems" member, needed our help so we helped with musical service and setup for quite a long time, which was necessary since no one else could help him but sometimes it felt we were not doing enough "missionary work" wise. It certainly was fun and good use of our time but I couldn't help but wonder, "is this the best use of our time?"

By the time it was Thursday, the stage was set, the props were ready, the microphones finally were figured out, and Anziano Mars and I finally managed to memorize the songs in Italian. We also managed to get our costumes figured out in time which is what I imagine a missionary to have looked like back in the 1800s. Before the play began, we greeted everyone out front and also had biglietinni and pamphlets out for people to look at. In the beginning, it looked like a good size of people. Then it got bigger! Turns out we had probably close to 150 come to the musical, with the chapel filled and people standing. Fratello Lo Monaco couldn't stop talking about the success it was, saying there has never been that many people in that chapel. And the musical was a hit! It really went well and was exciting with very few hiccups. I can' wait to ge the video because the songs are great and there were some really fun scenes, especially with Gaston. We couldn't stay for long after since it was close to 10:30 (with permission from our mission president) but we all received a certifcate for particpating in the theater course. Another great treasure I can take home from Ragusa.

We also had an amazing zone conference this week in Palermo even with the almost 10 hour round trip on the bus! Palermo is such a crazy big city and I hope to spend more time there in my future as a missionary. We were united with all the missionaries in Sicilia (and Reggio Calabria) and it was so powerful to see everyone. Especially my former 3 companions Anziano Albright, Anziano Moscon, and Anziano Draghi all in the same room! I haven't seen Anziano Draghi since I left Pozzuoli but I only feel greater love for him and so it was sweet to see him, maybe for the last time for a while. Overall we were given the message: "We have rested on some plateaus too long. It is time to move forward." I can't wait to apply this message and make the most of everyone of these days I have left. Every day I imagine in my head now, "This is my last July 3rd in the mission. Make it count"

At times this week, I felt like we weren't doing the right thing or not doing enough or a combination of feelings resulting in me feeling inadequate. And then God provided a miracle that cleared away that doubt every time. We spent two hours doing door to door before a play practice. We were about to go early but we felt prompted to ring one more palazzo. The first person we ring lets us come in if our message is only 15 minutes long. Turns out it was a student from English Course who later came to the musical! Anziano Mars and were shocked! One day we spent the morning setting up a tent without instructions for the musical for a long time. On the way back, a man asked us if we could help him push his car into a gas station which we gladly did for him. And on Sunday, after a long week, a man named Emanuele walked in holding a Plan of Salvation pamphlet saying we had given it to him. I didn't recognize him so I said we hadn't but one missionary had. He finally felt it was time to see our church and gave us his address and number after sacrament.

This is a mission of miracles! I love seeing God's hand create blessings out of my weakness and inadequacy. I feel so much love for him and continue to seek that same help I have seen time and time again. His love never ceases and I have never seen how much of that love he truly wants to give us until coming on this mission. Christ has walked through all our pains and sufferings, but I imagine he has also walked through all our joys and cheers of happiness. Thanks to this mission, my capacity to feel joy has already increased thanks to my suffering, so I believe that our Savior truly has the capacity to suffer with us and joy with us individually and infinitely! I know Jesus Christ lives and loves us so much, and is always there when we need him!

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Price



No comments:

Post a Comment