Monday, August 28, 2017

Crazy Things



Dear Family and Friends,

I will define this week simply. It was one of the craziest of my mission. Considering all the things that have happened to me, I honesly treat this as one of the best/interesting/unexpected weeks of my life.

Let's begin: First off, while Anziano Mars was trying to clean the sink one day, the faucet broke. So that led to us figuring out how to remove and replace it...which led to us later in the week having to take apart the whole sink, disconnect the lines while the water was still on because there was no shut-off, and then finally having a fixed sink again at the end of the week. I'm so glad Anziano Mars is good handyman because all I could really do was offer support on the sidelines.

Comunque, we are just starting. We had our zone conference this last week (which for me is like Natale!) and so that meant, I got to see Anziano Draghi again! Oh he's just the best trainer a missionary could want, and will truly be my best friend. We had a gesso which was fun and we certainly met interesting people, and of course Anziano Draghi wanted to end it all with singing "America the Beautiful". I learned a lot from the conference but the thing I learned the most was about love. Just as Anziano Draghi was about to depart, I gave him a hug and just started crying. Yah, I don't know really why but it was nice to have a minute to say that I really do love and appreciate everything he did. Luckily, since he's Italian, he's a lot closer about those things than maybe other people would be haha.

On the way back from Zone Conference, we missed the bus we wanted to take. That was a little annoying but we made it up with gelato and brioches (YUM!). The bus driver before was looking at our tags, and when we boarded the bus, he asked if we were musicians. I had my violin with me because we played a musical number, Rock of Ages, which also went well. We explained who we were, but he still invited me to sit in the front and play for him a song. Sooner or later, I played for the whole 2 hour bus ride all the hymns, classical music, christmas songs, and even suzuki method book pieces I could remember. It was a blast! It felt so unreal yet people applauded, people encouraged me to continue, and we left the bus driver with a pamphlet. I guess I need to use this talent a little more.

It only gets better! The festa of San Giovanni has hit and so the parades have begun, fireworks have been lit, and his birthday is on Tuesday still so this is just the beginning. The streets in centro are packed with vendors selling normal goods like candy, toys, food, as well the unsual like clothes, pets, cooking utensils, and even lightbulbs. It certainly is a nice welcome back to Ragusa after everyone has been on vacation on the sea and the summer is about to end.

Sebastiano continues to move up and down in confidence and his preparedness for his baptism but we are moving forward for the interview this Saturday so I am praying a lot for him and hope he really takes the leap of faith to baptism, that it will be better!

We also had a lesson with Emanuele which was interesting as he insisted that we needed to tell the prophet to add wine to the sacrament water cups. Also a member brought us giant ricotta stuffed rolls which were absolutely buonissimo! We also had two great pranzos with members which as always was simply a delight to enjoy laughter and also explain how they could introduce their friends to the joy of the gospel. Today we were at Siracusa which was nice to see again. We checked out some ancient Jewish baths and just enjoyed a nice day in that great city.

While driving back, I was talking with Sebastiano who drove us there about my mission and how I felt in general. As the words were leaving my mouth about how I might leave the next week because of transfers, I started to cry a bit (yes, it happens, I won't deny it.). I couldn't even say I would miss Ragusa because I would have probably bawled. I honestly do not understand why completely. It might have to do with how much I love Ragusa and the people and the food and everything here. Or it could be how much I have grown as a missionary, as a child of God. Or just how much I have gone through with my companion and district of missionaries, the high highs and the low lows. It could be that I still feel like I need to do something more here. Whatever it is, next week will be interesting. Maybe I am just a more emotional person? All I can say with confidence is that I am going to make this week worth it all, that I will be here until the end, when I have to go where there will probably also be more tears. I know there is a purpose for why I am here and intend to find out what it is before I leave. I know there is a reason I am here in this mission at this time and that God has a plan for it all. He loves me and all of us so much that the plan for each one of us seperately is the best thing that could ever happen to us, no matter what.

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Price



No comments:

Post a Comment