Monday, November 7, 2016

Two Weeks in One


Dear Family and Friends,

Sorry about not writing last week! I had finished the email but when I sent it, it apparently didn't send and when I went to try and send it again, the draft didn't save and it was also 6 p.m., the end of our P-day. So I will do my best to recount what has happened for the past two weeks because like normal missionary life, a lot has happened.

One thing I think I might have forgot to mention is that our apartment is only a ten minute walk from the Napoli San Paolo soccer stadium! Some nights are crazy with fireworks, people blowing horns, and it isn't too hard to hear the crowd even from our house. I mean this is Italy! Work literally will stop for these games, especially when the championships come. Imagine Super Bowl status but for every soccer game. I can't imagine what it will be like for the championships.


General updates: There is only one week left before a possible transfer so Anziano Draghi and I are making the most of the time we have together. He is helping me a lot more with the language and I am actually getting more chances to translate for church classes. There are days when I feel awesome with the language and then they are just some days when nothing makes sense.

The weather has gotten a lot colder and probably is going to just stay that way. Totally different than Arizona around this time of year. Italians are always shocked when I tell them the temperature of where I am from. Also, the American members we have visited with have given us small reminders  of home like Doritos and pancakes and syrup! Like seriously, syrup doesn't exist here!



Luckily, Halloween actually is still a thing in Italy but much smaller because some people are afraid because it looks like a holiday of the devil. It is also harder to do trick or treating when you have apartment buildings so the kids go around to shops on the street in costumes and say "dolcetta o scherzetta" and the people give them candy or dolce.

Really I have two experiences that made my week. For one, our investigator, Patrizia, is doing awesome! We had a FHE (family home evening), which basically was lunch with a small lesson and a game with the Hydes, our senior couple in Pozzuoli. And Patrizia and even Mimmo really opened up about their problems as we finished explaining the Plan of Salvation and we were really able to help. Patrizia really wants to get baptized now, she just wants to decide on the day. Hopefully I can see it happen, but already I can see how the knowledge we had about the gospel of Jesus Christ really is blessing her life!

And second, was pranzo (lunch) with the family of Slle. De Bennardo. Background information: Slle. De Bennardo is a member who had an active family probably 20 years ago but now her sons are less active (one even served a mission in Italy). Slle. De Bennardo invited us over to visit them. We had this huge pranzo! There was the typical sausage, potatoes, mozzarella, salad. The pasta was cooked like pasta al forno but in the shape of like a big cake covered in prociutto (ham) and it was so good! We also literally had roasted chestnuts (it's actually a thing here in Italy, tastes alright), clementines, and an apple torta for dessert. So as you can imagine, I was sooo full by the end.

It was also fun to see the family dynamic during the meal, kind of actually similar to my family reunions. We shared a spiritual thought after it all and they really enjoyed our company. But the main reason we were there was to give Massimo and Lina (one of the sons and his wife) a blessing because they were having a hard time with some trials. We even asked Pippo, the one son who went on a mission, to participate. I had he opportunity to give Lina a blessing, even in my broken Italian. I was scared but all I can say is that I followed the Spirit. We could all feel the Spirit by the end of it, and Lina was crying at the end. It was a really powerful experience. I may not ever see that family again, but I know that that experience was just one reason why I am supposed to be on a mission.








There were some really hard days these past few weeks, but those can never be compared to awesome moments like these and more I have had on the mission. All I can really add is my testimony that I know I am meant to be here on this mission. There are people that need the missionaries, especially because we have knowledge that can change the world. God loves us! Never forget that! I love you all and appreciate the support you have given me! 

Have a great week!

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Price











No comments:

Post a Comment